Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Wimborne’

In order of appearance: Ironmen, Wicket Brood, Severn Gilders, Powderkegs, Old Palace Clog, Fox Morris, Yetminster Irish, Sarum Morris, Hips and Hawes, Hong Kong Morris, Holt Morris and Ironmen and Severn Gilders together.

Read Full Post »

Picture by Chris Downer

Picture by Chris Downer

The current church of St. Mary at Compton Abbas is completely Victorian, designed by George Evans of Wimborne, 1866-67. It replaced an older medieval church, whose tower still stands amongst the remains of the old churchyard a mile to the east. Three of the bells were moved here from the old church, One is medieval, named “Maria;” the other two are seventeenth century and were cast by the Salisbury founders John Wallis (Searve God IW 1616) and John Danton (Remember God ID 1624).

Read Full Post »

Picture by Barry

Picture by Barry

The current church at Compton Abbas is completely Victorian, designed by George Evans of Wimborne, 1866-67.  The local landowner (Sir Richard Glyn) gave both land and financial support, and the new church was consecrated by the Bishop of Salisbury on the 11th February 1868

Read Full Post »