Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘George Burt’

Convent of Mercy

Picture by David Nicholls

Pictured in 1981 by David Nicholls

The Swanage Convent was founded in 1935 from the mother house at Hull. Originally built in 1875 as George Burt’s home, Purbeck House. It re-used such relics of old London as columns from Billingsgate fish market and statues from the Royal Exchange to create a manor house in Scottish Baronial Style.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Durlston Globe

Picture by D. Greves

Picture by D. Greves

The Great Globe at Durlston Head, near Swanage was built by John Mowlems Greenwich works in 1887 for George Burt, a local stone merchant. It is three metres in diameter, weighs about 40 tonnes and is made in 15 sections of Portland Limestone and is the largest sculpture at what is now Durlston Country Park

Read Full Post »

Picture by Mark Murphy

Picture by Mark Murphy

The original Swanage Pier was built between 1859 and 1860 for use primarily by the local stone quarrying industry. When local businessman George Burt introduced regular steamer services between Swanage and nearby towns Poole and Bournemouth in 1874, a need became apparent for a second pier to be built primarily for use by passenger steamers.

Read Full Post »