Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Compton Abbas’

Picture by Chris Downer

Picture by Chris Downer

The current church of St. Mary at Compton Abbas is completely Victorian, designed by George Evans of Wimborne, 1866-67. It replaced an older medieval church, whose tower still stands amongst the remains of the old churchyard a mile to the east. Three of the bells were moved here from the old church, One is medieval, named “Maria;” the other two are seventeenth century and were cast by the Salisbury founders John Wallis (Searve God IW 1616) and John Danton (Remember God ID 1624).

Read Full Post »

Picture by Barry

Picture by Barry

The current church at Compton Abbas is completely Victorian, designed by George Evans of Wimborne, 1866-67.  The local landowner (Sir Richard Glyn) gave both land and financial support, and the new church was consecrated by the Bishop of Salisbury on the 11th February 1868

Read Full Post »

Picture by Clifton Beard

Picture by Clifton Beard

Only the tower now remains of the old church of St. Mary’s at Compton Abbas. It Still stands within the walls of its old churchyard, surrounded by old gravestones and a preaching cross. Both tower and churchyard are now owned by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings

Read Full Post »