Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Bridport’

Litton Cheney

Picture by David North

Picture by David North

The village of Litton Cheney is located in a quiet secluded area of southwest Dorset, just to the south of the Bridport to Dorchester road.

Read Full Post »

The Bells of Bridport

Picture by Malcolm Etherington

Picture by Malcolm Etherington

Thes bells of St. Mary’s, Bridport are a complete eight by Mears of 1924, replacing a Warner eight of 1887. It is said that they were one of the last old style rings to be cast – Mears moved to true-harmonic tuning in 1926 or 1927.

Read Full Post »

Electric Palace

Picture by Wurz

Picture by Wurz

The Electric Palace Cinema at Bridport opened on 14th June 1926 with Gloria Swanson in “Madame Sans Gene”. It was designed by local Bridport architects Messrs Frederick Cooper & Sons and the original seating capacity was provided for 543 in stalls and circle. At the rear of the circle were two boxes which each seated five persons and there was a stage for live performances.

Read Full Post »

St Mary’s Church, Bridport

Picture by Graham Naylor

Picture by Graham Naylor

A church has stood on this town centre site from at least the Middle Ages and probably much longer than that. The earliest remains, dating from the 13th century, are to be found in the north and south transepts.  Much of the rest of the building, including the central tower, dates from the 15th century.

Read Full Post »

Colmers Hill

Picture by Sheila Allen

Picture by Sheila Allen

Colmer’s Hill is a well known landmark at Symondsbury near Bridport. The Caledonian Pine trees planted on the summit by Major W P Colfox MC during the First World War make this a favourite subject of photographers and artists.

Read Full Post »

The view from Eggardon

View from Eggardon by David North

View from Eggardon by David North

The view from Eggardon Hill, located on chalk uplands approximately four miles to the east of Bridport. It stands 250 metres (820 feet) above sea level, and provides panoramic views to the south, north and west

Read Full Post »

The Chapel in the Garden

The Chapel in the Garden by Graham

The Chapel in the Garden by Graham

This Bridport Chapel began as a Presbyterian Chapel in 1672 when some Christians could not accept in its entirety the Book of Common Prayer.  In 1742 it became Unitarian Christian but in recent years has moved to Free Christianity where no creed or fixed form of worship is used.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »