Portland Castle is one of the Device Forts built in 1539 by Henry VIII on the Isle of Portland to guard the natural Portland anchorage known as the Portland Roads. The castle lies in the far north of the island, in the village now called Castletown, near Fortuneswell. The castle is under the care of English Heritage.
Posts Tagged ‘Fortuneswell’
- Phil Say to take over Weymouth Pavilion June 19, 2013BUSINESSMAN Phil Say is to take over Weymouth Pavilion, it has been announced.
- UPDATED: Police and paramedics at crash at Preston June 19, 2013POLICE and paramedics are at a crash on the hill out of Weymouth at Preston
- Portland base looks safe after Sunseeker deal goes through June 19, 2013A CHINESE firm has pledged to keep existing bases after snapping up luxury boatbuilder Sunseeker
- Cancer man loses his battle after airlift home to Dorchester June 19, 2013HEARTFELT tributes have been paid to a popular Dorchester man who fought to spend the last days of his life surrounded by his loved ones.
- Fire crew called to Osmington diesel spill June 19, 2013FIREFIGHTERS have been called out to the A353 following a diesel spill from a coach.
- Missing diver sparks Weymouth Bay search June 19, 2013A DIVER who went missing in thick fog sparked a search of Weymouth Bay.
- Windy 500 car rally heading to Hungary after leaving Weymouth last week June 19, 2013A CAR rally covering 23 countries in 23 days is heading to Hungary after leaving Weymouth last week.
- Firefighters called to Bridport cooking fire June 19, 2013Firefighters were called after a fire broke out due to an unattended saucepan in Bridport.
- DT1: A major boot-making firm will open at Brewery Square June 19, 2013A MAJOR boot-making firm is the latest name to step forward and join the Brewery Square development.
- South Dorset drivers told to try different routes June 19, 2013MOTORISTS are being urged to leave the car at home in a blitz of households in Weymouth and Dorchester.
- Charity cycling team pay visit to Dorset pub June 19, 2013A DORSET pub got into the fundraising spirit when a charity cycling team paid them a visit.
- Pair are pedalling to help Parkinson's UK June 19, 2013A DORCHESTER couple have hit the saddle for a cause close to their heart.
- Protect the Jurassic coastline with fun boat trip June 19, 2013Visitors and residents can help to protect the Jurassic coastline by going on a fun boat trip.
- Entertainment for all ages at family fun day June 19, 2013A FAMILY fun day inspired by a woman’s brave battle with a rare illness promises to offer enter-tainment for all ages.
- Top photographer Ben judging contest June 19, 2013TOP photographer Ben Osborne will set his sights on entries for this year’s South West Coast Path photo competition.
- Football match held in memory of Butch June 19, 2013HUNDREDS of people turned out for a goal-den fun day.
- Dorset's carers happy with support June 19, 2013A NATIONAL survey of carers has revealed a high level of satisfaction with the support given by Dorset County Council. Some 76 per cent of Dorset’s carers were ‘satisfied’ with the support and services they receive from the county council and a total of 44 per cent were ‘extremely satisfied’.
- Walking on coals is a hot fundraiser June 19, 2013A SUNSET firewalk is taking place on Portland in aid of the charity Island Community Action.
- Retailer to join square June 19, 2013A MAJOR boot-making firm is the latest name to step forward and join the Brewery Square development.
- New library set to open June 19, 2013THE FINISHING touches are being applied to Dorchester’s new library and learning centre.
- Phil Say to take over Weymouth Pavilion June 19, 2013
- Inaugural Lyme Regis Crab Festival to become an annual event June 19, 2013THE Lyme Regis Crab Festival will return to the town next year, according to one of the organisers.
- BREAKING: Missing Lyme Regis man found 'safe and well' June 19, 2013A MAN who went missing from his Lyme Regis home was found safe and well a day later.
- Lucky escape for couple after Charmouth garden crash June 19, 2013A FOREIGN couple had a lucky escape when their car ploughed through a wall and iron railings into a garden in Charmouth.
- Police appeal for help in finding missing Lyme Regis man June 18, 2013POLICE are becoming very concerned for the welfare of a Lyme Regis man who has gone missing.
- New Lyme Regis Business Group aims to boost town's economy June 18, 2013A NEW organisation will be launched to promote the joint interests of Lyme Regis businesses.
- Thousands turn out to Uplyme Fete June 18, 2013THOUSANDS of people helped make the return of Uplyme Fete a huge success.
- Bridport Carnival names its princess June 17, 2013THE competition was fierce for this year’s Bridport Carnival Princess with seven girls singing and dancing for the judges.
- Driver rescued after embankment plunge at Raymonds Hill June 17, 2013A DRIVER was rescued after a car left the road and plummeted down an embankment.
- Proposed designs for Lyme's Three Cups revealed at public consultation June 14, 2013PALMERS Brewery unveiled its latest proposals for the Three Cups building and surrounding site at a public consultation yesterday.
- Results of Charmouth Parish Council by-election June 14, 2013THE successful candidates winning a seat on Charmouth Parish Council have been announced.
- Inaugural Lyme Regis Crab Festival to become an annual event June 19, 2013
- Southbourne murder investigation: man was found 'dismembered' June 19, 2013THE man found dead in his Southbourne flat was dismembered, the Daily Echo understands.
- Sunseeker sold to Chinese property group June 19, 2013SUNSEEKER has been sold to a Chinese commercial property conglomerate, it has been confirmed today.
- Drama as car speeds through Poole Park June 19, 2013PEOPLE enjoying Poole Park earlier this evening had a shock when a car sped through the usually-tranquil setting before crashing into a roundabout.
- Winter Gardens saga: Agent Tony Ramsden declared bankrupt for second time June 19, 2013FORMER Bournemouth councillor and planning agent Anthony Ramsden-Geary has been declared bankrupt for the second time.
- Winter Gardens saga: "Tony Ramsden tried to mislead planning board" June 19, 2013A FORMER councillor has been accused of trying to mislead civic planners over the failed Winter Gardens scheme.
- Dorset Police set to lose 468 officers by 2018 due to funding cuts, warns MP Richard Drax June 19, 2013THE funding of Dorset Police was thrown into the spotlight this morning as MP Richard Drax called for a special case review.
- Man charged over death of Clive Wilcox appears in court June 19, 2013THE man charged with causing the death of Clive Wilcox in Bournemouth 12 years ago appeared in court this morning.
- Race is on to finish outdoor space at Imax site for BSO concerts June 19, 2013CONTRACTORS are in a race against time to ensure the new waterfront concert space will be ready to kick-start the summer events programme on June 29.
- Fake ecstasy pills linked to deaths in circulation June 19, 2013HEALTH bosses have issued a warning about fake ecstasy pills which are in circulation and have been linked to several deaths.
- Record turnout expected for Milton Abbas street fair June 19, 2013THOUSANDS of visitors are expected to descend on the picturesque village of Milton Abbas as the biannual street fair returns this summer.
- Southbourne murder investigation: man was found 'dismembered' June 19, 2013
- MP calls for fairer police fundingSouth Dorset MP Richard Drax calls for a "fairer deal" on funding for Dorset police during a debate in Westminster.
- Seafront site transformation beginsWork begins to transform the site of a demolished seafront cinema that was once voted one of the UK's most hated buildings.
- China's Wanda to buy UK yacht makerDalian Wanda Group, a Chinese property developer, says it will spend £1bn ($1.6bn) to buy a Poole-based yacht maker and property in London.
- Man charged over indecent imagesA senior council education officer in Bournemouth appears in court charged with 17 counts of making indecent images of children.
- Man held in Southbourne murder probeA 26-year-old-man is arrested on suspicion of murder after a body was found at a flat in Dorset.
- Guardian angels of the party peopleStreet pastor team marks 500th patrol
- Birdsong phone apps 'harming' birdsAre apps stopping birds feeding their young?
- Ward urges Cherries consistencyNew Bournemouth signing Elliott Ward urges his new team mates to adapt to life in the Championship quickly.
- Bournemouth sign defender WardBournemouth sign former Norwich City defender Elliott Ward as they prepare for the Championship season.
- MP calls for fairer police funding
TagsAbbotsbury Blackmore Vale Bournemouth Bridport Brownsea Island Burton Bradstock Cerne Abbas Charmouth Chesil Beach Christchurch Corfe Castle Cranborne Cranborne Chase Dorchester Durdle Door Durlston East Lulworth Evershot Horton Isle of Purbeck Kimmeridge Lulworth Cove Lyme Regis Maiden Castle Moreton Poole Portesham Portland Sandbanks Shaftesbury Sherborne Studland Sturminster Newton Swanage Thomas Hardy Tyneham Wareham West Bay West Lulworth Weymouth William Barnes Wimborne Wimborne Minster Wool Worth Matravers